9.13.2010

Poor Little Addie Girl

I posted very little about our life from July and August
because of the move
so I'm going to try and play catch up over the next few weeks.

Back in July we decided to go ahead and get a blood test done on Addie
to verify if she had a true milk allergy or just an intolerance.
This was important to us
since she was 7 months and would begin eating table foods
in the next few months.
We went to the hospital to get her blood drawn.
I held her in my lap and had to help hold her arms still
while the tech tried first from her left arm
and then from her right
to get what she needed.
Poor Addie just cried and cried.
I had to keep telling myself it was for something good
and was necessary.
But oh, it was so hard!
When the results came back, I was really surprised to find out
that not only is she highly allergic to milk
but also to eggs.
We also found out she has a mild allergy to peanuts, fish, and wheat.
I was shocked to learn of the other allergies
because she's never had a reaction to anything other than the milk.
I felt a little overwhelmed with the information 
and the nurse I was talking with suggested
I cut out each of these foods from my diet if I wanted to continue nursing Addie.
And I did so I did.
And it was hard!
There is very little you can eat when cutting out so much.
I did the elimination diet for a week before realizing it was just too hard.
I scheduled an appointment with the pediatrician to figure out my options.
In the end, we decided to continue eliminating milk from my diet
but pretty much eat everything else and watch her closely for reactions to the other foods.
Addie can't eat these foods herself but it is fine for me to eat them.
Around her first birthday we'll have to see an allergist and do a skin test
to see exactly what she reacts to.
But the good news is that she will probably outgrow these allergies by the age of 2.
That's what we're praying for!

So here is poor little Addie Grace after getting her blood drawn.
I'm {so glad} babies are forgiving!



*taken on the cell phone.

12 comments:

Lauren said...

poor little thing! I have food allergies and last year I had to go on the elimination diet for THREE MONTHS!! I lost 20 pounds... it was so hard, but worth it because I never knew I could feel so good! Thankfully the 3 months ended though, and I added in things gradually. But, dairy is still not so great for me. :/

Donna said...

LOVE the picture! HATE the boo-boos!!

Our guat boys had a milk allergy, but not dairy. They still don't "like" milk, but their system seems to tolerate it now much easier. So sorry Addie (and you) had to go through this - joining in on your prayers that it's all outgrown soon!!

Kim said...

I had to do that too when my little guy was three months old. Pretty much everything removed except fruits, vegetables, rice products, fish, and chicken. I too lost about 18 pounds in 6 weeks, and when he was 6 months old I started adding things back in one at a time. Dairy didn't get added to my diet in the form of yogurt and cheese until 9 months, because either their intestines/digestive tract is more developed or it doesn't transfer through breast milk anymore, and 12 months for cow's milk. We started by using rice milk for our son and now use almond milk since we know he isn't allergic to almonds.

Brittany said...

Melinda,

We have been there...for the past few years. My son, Layton (now 3) has allergies to milk, egg and peanuts. We found out when he was 10 months old. I went on the elimination diet since I was still nursing also.

Since then, we have had to learn how to live an allergy free lifestyle. One of the greatest resources for us was FANN (foodallergy.org) and our local Food Allergy support group filled with other moms who come up with great alternative recipes and who are learning to live daily with food allergies.

Another WONDERFUL book is "What's To Eat?" by Linda Coss (http://www.foodallergybooks.com) It helped me plan meals for my family without leaving Layton out.

As he has gotten older he is beginning to outgrown his allergies and we are hoping and praying that in the next year or so, they will be gone!! :)

I have such a heart for children and parents with food allergies. It is hard to understand unless you have been there, so I would love to be a resource for you anytime.

By the way, Addie is precious and so beautiful!

Brittany said...

I noticed a comment above....we also used Rice milk as an alternative at 12 months, and now he drinks Coconut Milk - which is VERY yummy!

Anonymous said...

I'm noticing all the comments and I'm happy to see us 'allergy moms' are not alone! My son has a peanut allergy and although they said he may grow out of it, he hasn't. He started preschool three weeks ago and it's been hard for me to relinquish responsibility unto other caregivers. he was also intolerant to milk from a young age and also did rice milk until he was about 2. Now he can drink regular milk with no problem. I agree with the other commentors too, FAAN has been a great resource for us and my son's allergies.
I'm sorry your little one had to go through with the blood being drawn, but at least you now know so you can keep her safe and healthy. Each allergic reaction can be different from one to the next, so just keep a good eye on her. Which I know you will! But some parents think that just because it was hives the first time, it's going to be that again. And that's just not true.
My thoughts and prayers are with you as you learn to work with this new challenge. : )

Anne said...

Poor little Addie. My son Luke also has a milk allergy but not dairy. I give him Almond milk since he has no other allergies.

Anonymous said...

Poor baby girl!
My oldest daughter was allergic to about everything when she was a baby up until she was about 7. She would have major hives come on and we would have to rush her to the doctor to get a shot. Good news is she now can eat about anything but every once in awhile she'll get hives again but never can really pic point what caused them.

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

I was wondering if you had learned anything new about this. Poor girl, not that she knows any differnt now. HOpefully she outgrows them all, and even if she's stuck with milk she can join the crowed there's lots of alternatives at least for that.

Hannah said...

Poor little Addie. I'm glad you guys are able to limit just milk for now. I hate seeing her little face look so sad. :(

Brooke said...

Oh this just breaks my heart.

Steph{anie} said...

So sad! That's one reason I don't work in peds...I can't find it in me to stick little ones.