11.19.2013

Its Beginning To Look A Lot Like....Christmas??

I am a firm believer in simplicity.
I don't like complicated
or busy
or rushed.
So those who know me know
that I take one holiday at a time,
and enjoy each holiday to its fullest.
I don't like to rush through one just to
get to the next.
And that especially goes for Christmas.
I like Thanksgiving
and I don't want to be singing Jingle Bells while
carving the turkey.
Until this year ;-)
This year is different.
This year Mamaw & Papaw came down to visit
and went to Disney with us.
We decided to go ahead and do our Thanksgiving AND Christmas
while we were all together.
So my No-Mixing holiday rule
went right out the window.
 
On Friday Mamaw & Papaw took the girls to see a movie
and while they were gone
Jake and I were busy little bees
and put up the Christmas decorations and cooked a
Thanksgiving feast!
The girls had no idea we were going to do this
so when they walked in the door,
this is what they saw...
 
After the initial excitement settled down,
we followed tradition
and put up the girls' Christmas ornaments.
Each year,
on the night we put up the tree,
 Jake and I give the girls their first Christmas gift.
A new ornament that represents the last year for each girl.
When the girls grow up and have homes of their own,
they'll get to take their ornaments
with them to start off their own tree.
My favorite part of decorating for Christmas
is unwrapping each ornament
and re-telling the stories of why that particular ornament
 was chosen for that particular girl that year.
Crista's very first ornament...
she was still in Guatemala that year.
 
 
Addie Grace's "ornament" from 2 years ago.
This was her actual pacifier
that she was uber attached to.
It was only fitting to make it into an ornament the year
she gave it up.
 
 
And their new ornaments for this year...
Crista received a Jasmine ornament
and Addie an Ariel,
their favorite Disney Princesses
and in honor of their first trip to Disney!
 
 
Christmas is always so much fun!!

After decorating the tree,
it was Thanksgiving time!
The turkey & fixings were delicious
{even if I do say so myself!}.
I don't have any more pictures of dinner
because I was too busy eating :-)
 
 
No Christmas would be complete without presents!!
 
 
We were an excited bunch!



 
 
And after putting it on her wish list for 3 years,
Crista FINALLY got the wooden sushi!
Score!!



 
 
We also have another tradition
in the Brown household.
On the night we put up the tree,
they get a second Christmas gift....
 
...new Christmas jammies
to wear all during the holidays!
 
 
Our Thanksgiving/Christmas evening was so wonderful
and filled with laughter
and lots of torn wrapping paper.
We are so very blessed!!
 
 
The next day
Crista really got into the Christmas spirit
and was insistent that we write letters to Santa.
So we did!
 
Here's Addie Grace's.
We're learning our letters in school
so I write out her letter in a highlighter
and she traces them,
saying the letters that she knows.
 
 
And Crista's.
We're working on spelling correctly :-)
She spells everything phonetically
which I personally think is adorable!

 
 
Signed, sealed & delivered!
We've jumped into the holidays with both feet
and loving every minute!
{even if it IS before Thanksgiving!}

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Awwww.... so sweet and early Merry Turkey!! What a great day to celebrate with those you love! I really enjoy seeing how you make your girls' eyes light up with the special things you do!! And I find the misspellings adorable too!!

Hannah said...

How sweet that you made it a real Christmas and Thanksgiving so the grandparents could have that with the girls :)

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

As I said in my post I normally hold off on everything until after Thanksgiving but this year I don't know what happened. We even went on saw the fake mall Santa already. My kids get to choose one ornament each year and then when they grow up those will be there's as well. Maya has already choosen her's, Benjamin wants one with balls.
Looks like you all had a wonderful time!