I remember like it was yesterday how I longed for a child, but God kept telling me to “Wait.” I remember how empty my arms felt and how hard it was seeing pictures of your Daddy and me because something always looked to be missing.

I remember like it was yesterday how I was on the floor painting the woodwork in your bedroom when Michele called. I remember how fast my heart started beating when she said, “Congratulations…It’s a GIRL!!” My hands were shaking as I opened the e-mail and saw the most beautiful baby staring back at me.

I remember like it was yesterday how I called your Daddy at work, with tears in my eyes, because God had blessed us in a mighty way. The butterfly on your bib in your referral picture was proof of that!

I remember like it was yesterday how I watched you grow in pictures, making my heart happy and sad all at the same time.

I remember like it was yesterday when we were told to book our plane tickets because we had our Embassy appointment date….February 24. I remember how my belly did flip flops as Papaw and Mamaw dropped us off at the airport and how I told everyone I met where we were going and why we were going there!

I remember like it was yesterday flying over Guatemala for the first time knowing that you were down there somewhere, not knowing your life was about to change.

I remember like it was yesterday waiting for you in the front parlor at the Hotel San Carlos where the manager kept wanting to make small talk with us. I remember I sat on the couch and it squeaked every time I moved.
I remember like it was yesterday how my heart skipped a beat when I first saw you. I asked our facilitator if he was “positive” this was OUR Crista, because you looked so tiny in his arms. I remember going up to you and talking softly to you and you gave out a little whimper, because you weren’t sure of what was going on.
I remember like it was yesterday how I loved you instantly.
I remember like it was yesterday how scared and sad you looked and how I wanted to do nothing else but comfort you and make you feel loved.
I remember like it was yesterday how you stared at me and I stared at you, getting to know one another.

I remember like it was yesterday how I tried all day to get that first grin out of you and then Daddy swooped in and managed not only your first smile, but also a giggle. You’ve been Daddy’s girl ever since.
I remember like it was yesterday how happy you were and how you scrunched up your nose when you were playing. I can still hear those sweet belly giggles that you gave so generously.
I remember like it was yesterday how you loved to suck on your middle two fingers, but only on your left hand.
I remember like it was yesterday walking back from our Embassy Appointment, so completely excited because everything was official…you were ours!!

I remember like it was yesterday how warm the sun felt on my face while we took our very first family picture.
I remember like it was yesterday your first tub bath and how you screamed and cried the whole time. After that you only got sponge baths. That was the only time you cried.
I remember like it was yesterday studying those long black eyelashes and wondering if they could possibly be any longer. I loved how they framed those dark chocolate eyes of yours.
I remember like it was yesterday how you would be playing one minute and in a split second roll over and be sound asleep.
I remember like it was yesterday how we missed your Great Papaw and Great Mamaw’s 60th wedding anniversary. But I’m pretty sure they understood!
I remember like it was yesterday packing up, ready to leave Guatemala, knowing the next time our family saw us my arms would no longer be empty.
I remember like it was yesterday rounding the corner at the Indianapolis International Airport, and seeing family waiting to meet you. I remember a flood of emotions, but I mostly remember being so proud to finally introduce my daughter.
I remember like it was yesterday how I felt my dream had finally come true. It's been etched on my heart forever! I remember exactly how your Daddy and I said if you were the only child God gave us, how we would be thankful, every day, for this most perfect gift. You were and still are everything we ever could have dreamt of.
Happy 3rd Forever Family Day, Crista!
We love you!!
We love you!!









18 comments:
I'm totally crying that was beautiful! Happy Firever Family Day Crista!!!!!!
That was beautiful. I have tears of joy running down my face.
Happy Forever Family Day Crista!!
You guys are such a beautiful, loving family...I feel honored to call you my friend :)
What a beautiful post!!!!! So emotional...you are so right...I can remember it like yesterday too. We are almost exactly one year behind you..our day is 2/27.
What a touching post! Crista is such a beautiful child and you are all one blessed family! Happy Forever Family Day...enjoy...
So beautiful! Happy Forever Family Day!
Such a beautiful post. Wow. Thanks for sharing those special moments with us. Happy Forever Family Day!
so beautiful. what a beautiful family you were, and now an expanded family with another little one.
Beautiful post!! Happy 3rd Family Day! I loved the walk through memory lane in pictures.
Congrats on your Family Day! How special. I can relate to every single thing you said. This will be a story Crista will treasure forever. I love the little details you added like how the couch squeaked.
What a beautiful, beautiful post! I love seeing pictures of Crista's family day. (I still love how she scrunches up her nose.)
Crista is lucky to have parents who can communicate how special she is to them. I think that Crista is a remarkable child and you are all so blessed to have one another. Happy Family Day!
You are so-o-o-o loved!!! Words can't express! We are so blessed!!
Love and prayers, Mamaw and Papaw
Beautiful post and pictures! What priceless and precious memories you have shared with us! Happy Forever Family Day!
That was a great post! Memories that last a life time :D
just beautiful. Happy 3rd family day! your post is how i thought our adoption experiance might go, but it didn't and I am sad about that but then again at least we all got home. Maya too sucked only on her left hand but it was her knuckle on her bent up pointer finger.
so sweet, really enjoyed your post.
Happy 3 year forever familia day!!! I soooo remember bringing our girl home LIKE IT WAS YESTERDAY!!!! BE still my heart!!!!
Okay, now I am sitting at work crying! Your post is beautiful. You have such a great family and so much to be thankful for. Two beautiful girls....what more can you ask for? I am so proud of you, your family, and the young lady, wife, & mother you have become!
I miss you!
Love You,
Sheila
Wow! I don't even know you but I could definitely feel your emotions and the love you have for eachother!
Beatutiful post! Made me cry! =)
Post a Comment