1.09.2014

Lately

Lately,
we have been getting back into
{somewhat}
of a routine.
Schooling, cooking 
and playing are 
all on our daily agenda.
Crista and I continue in the Little House series.
We love our book time together,
one-on-one time
carved out of the busy day.
Its special.



Since reading the first book in the series,
Crista has asked if we can make our own 
cheese.
Like Ma used to make.
I found an easy recipe 
and since the polar vortex swooped
down and enveloped us,
driving us to stay indoors,
I finally got out the ingredients
and put the girls to work!



They love helping in the kitchen!
And now that Crista is at a good age,
she can do quite a bit by herself now1


Curds and Whey,
anyone?

After the whey separates,
you have to hang the cheese for several hours.

 The next day,
the cheese was ready for a taste test.
Addie Grace looks far more excited about 
taking a picture
 with the cheese 
than she was about actually eating the cheese.
She is still undecided about it.

Crista, 
on the other hand,
chowed down on it!
She loved it!
I put some strawberry preserves on one of her 
cheese slices.
But she liked hers plain better.

I put peach salsa on mine 
and OH.MY.GOODNESS.
It was so wonderful!
Jake and I have been snacking on this all week.
Can't get enough of it!

 I would say our first cheese-making 
{adventure}
was a success!

While Crista was doing some independent school work,
Addie Grace and I worked on making 
homemade noodles.
I love the girls helping me cook,
and I love recipes they can't mess up!

Her noodles were awesome!




Because of the vicious polar vortex
that descended upon us,
outside play was a
no-go.
It was just too cold.
 Crista doesn't even have a winter coat.
And neither girl has mittens or a hat.
So we stayed inside.
For 3 solid days.
No fresh air.
No getting their energy out.
We can only watch The Little Mermaid
and Frozen clips on YouTube
so many times.
So I put them in the tub
with a can of shaving cream
and told them to call me when it was empty.


















That bought me
45 minutes of blessed
peace.
No arguing or complaining.
Just lots of belly laughs and photo ops.

So that's what we've been doing,
lately!

2 comments:

Leah Maya Benjamin said...

welcome to our world, except we do have all the winter clothes, so you can have fun outside, but they can't run freely and burn off energy quite the same as in the summer. Can you email me the link for the cheese? that would be fun to try. I've made home made noodles, which were good but I think if I had an attachment to make them really noodle like they would have even been better, I also used a pizza cutter.
I might have to try the shaving cream, they've made thier own soaps and love a good bubble bath (can only use Burt's Bee's or we get the burning pee-pee's). Yesterday we used a microscope I checked out from school and looked at some prepared slides and then looked at whatever we wanted, managed to find even a couple of dried up bugs to look it, it was really cool. If you like to do stuff liek that you can get a USB digital microscope and then view what you are looking at ont he computer, take a picture of it or live video's. My dad bought one (they look like a big pen) it says it is 800X (it's not when we compared it to this school microscope, but for $40 it is pretty neat.

Hannah said...

I've got to make the cheese!! That is so cool! We are on the Long Hard Winter...but it's hit or miss right now.